When I started doing research on the Gaels as part of my interest in the Gaelic language, I began accumulating sites that might be of interest when traveling. This process culminated in the development of two ‘Beyond the Usual’ classes – one for Scotland and one for Ireland.
Ireland has a long and fascinating history. Travelers to Ireland will want to explore historically significant locations and unusual sites relevant to the culture and history of the country. We’ll discuss some of these sites as well as some tips and advice for traveling throughout the country. Note: This class will not provide Gaelic language teaching.
This course was updated for 2023. Please see the course syllabus for information about the contents of the course.
File Archive (2023)
- Ireland: BTU Course Syllabus (PDF)
- Ireland: BTU Course Handout and Additional Resources (PDF)
- Ireland: BTU Course Presentation Slides (PDF)
- BTU – Travel Tips and Tricks (for Scotland and Ireland)(PDF)
Files for the previous version of the course
- BTU – Ireland Handout (PDF)